The people of a village near Kalpetta are all prayers for the speedy recovery of a monkey hospitalised after suffering an electric shock.
The black Neelgiri langur, has been loved and pampered by the people Nedumullykadalmadu village after it strayed into the hamlet from its forest home four years back, villager said.
Never in confines, it has been welcome to all homes in the tiny village where grown up and children used to treat him with nuts and fruits. But for occasional harmless pranks, the monkey has brooked no trouble for them, the villager said.
The animal ran into trouble yesterday when it climbed up an electric transformer to escape a chasing street dog. On touching the live wires, it had its neck and mouth burnt severely.
The villagers immediately informed the Forest authorities and took the monkey to the veterinary hospital at Pookkod near here, where it is now recovering.
"Neelgiri langurs are mostly found on the slopes of the Western Ghats. They normally shun human habitat and rarely live in harmony with human beings," said Wildlife Protection Society Co-ordinator, S. Guruvayurappan.