Monday, October 10, 2005

Shock the Monkey!

The famed National Institute for Training in Industrial Engineering (NITIE) at Powai had an unusual visitor on Friday morning. An injured female monkey that got the 'shock' of it's life when it got entangled in the wires of a transformer in the NITIE campus.

This is the second such incident in the same place. Around eight months ago, another monkey was killed following electrocution at the very same place in the NITIE campus.
However, this monkey was luckier than it's predecessor, for NITIE staff immediately alerted a volunteer from Karuna, an NGO working for animals.

"Earlier, Karuna had helped us treat an injured cow that had strayed into our campus. So, I called them for help again," said T N Lingayat, a driver in NITIE's transport department, and an animal lover.

"When the monkey got trapped in the wires, there was a short circuit. As a result, the monkey received a high-voltage shock and fell down unconscious," said Bipin Dedhia, a Powai resident and a volunteer for Karuna, who rushed to the spot with an ambulance.

"The adult female monkey was separated from its family. The electric shock has caused some nerve damage, as a result of which it is unable to move its right paw and right hind leg. But the damage is temporary, it will recover in three days," said Dr Mangesh Mate, Karuna's veterinary specialist. And after that, volunteers from Karuna plan to release the monkey at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai's green solution to 'concrete' problems.


Story here.

No comments: